Hunt for Shaw’s body to re-start next week

May 2, 2019

By John Raffel
Correspondent

The search for the body of 15-year-old Dylan Shaw of Evart will continue early next week.

That’s the word from Osceola County Sheriff Justin Halladay.

Shaw was presumed drowned after falling through the ice on the Muskegon River in Sylvan Township in early February.

Dylan Shaw

Halladay issued a release to the media on Thursday, Feb. 7, which stated that at approximately 5:14 p.m. that day, deputies from Osceola County were dispatched to a possible drowning at the 50th. Ave. Bridge just south of River Road in Sylvan Township. He added three juveniles, ranging in ages of 14 years old to 16 years old, fell through the ice and into the Muskegon River. Two of the juveniles were able to make it back to the shore and the search continued for the third juvenile, who was later identified as Shaw.

An extensive recovery effort was suspended on the evening of Feb. 8. although the search has been continuing at various times since then, depending on river and weather conditions, which have posed challenges to the search, Halladay said.

“We are planning to resume the search next week on (May) 7th,” Halladay said earlier this week. “We will be placing quite a few boats on the river using several methods to conduct the search…Dogs, sonar, visual, and possibly by air.  “We will conduct the search from the site of the incident down the river to possibly Hersey, as it’s unknown and almost impossible to tell how far he may have travelled. We have continued the search throughout the last few months but a search of this size as we are planning depends upon, weather, river conditions, and availability of all our resources.”





Please follow and like us:
Error, no Ad ID set! Check your syntax!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *