Attorney General’s Office to Investigate Fatal Marion Stabbing

November 4, 2019

By John Raffel
Correspondent

MARION — A fatal stabbing accident involving a Marion man earlier this month will now be reviewed by the Michigan Attorney General’s office to consider any possible charges.

Area media reports confirm prosecuting attorney Anthony Badoviac said the Attorney General’s office will review the case to determine if any potential criminal acts were done by Evart police officers, who have been placed on administrative leave.

Media reports indicated a press release from the Michigan State Police said two officers from the Evart Police Department, assisting the Osceola County sheriff department, responded to a domestic issue taking place on Oct. 11, at the home of a Marion woman who filed the report. The woman mentioned her son was at the home, where she was with her husband, but was displaying two large knives.

According to media reports, Evart officers were at the scene and made contact with the 29-year-old man near the house at the Third and Broadway streets intersection. Reports say the subject was ordered by officers to go to his knees, and did so, but did not comply with an order to place his hands on his head.

The state police said the man pulled out what appeared to officers to be a type of knife. Reports then indicate the officer at the back of the subject deployed a TASER on his back and said it resulted in the man falling forward and onto the knife in his hand puncturing his chest cavity.

Media reports say the police immediately called for an ambulance and applied first aid to the man, who died at the scene from the stab wound.

The state police said the case is still under investigation and being reviewed by the Osceola County prosecutor’s office.

The man was identified as Calvin James Schwab, 29, of Marion.

Badovinac issued a statement to the Marion Press about a week after the incident indicating he was awaiting for a full police report to decide what if any criminal charges should be pursued against anyone.

“It will be reviewed by myself or perhaps the attorney general’s office so as to have an independent third party review the evidence,” Badovinac said in the statement.

He then announced this week the attorney general’s office would do the review.





Please follow and like us:
Error, no Ad ID set! Check your syntax!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *