Home » Archives by category » Columns » From the Past

Ghosts on Main Street: No Room for Ghosts at the Marion Township Hall

Marion Twp Hall AWNING By Julie Traynor All across Michigan on Tuesday, March 8, 2020, voters will go to their local designated polling places to cast ballots in the upcoming…

Ghosts on Main Street: Chasing the East and West Ghost

By: Julie Traynor The short-lived Michigan East & West Railroad, 1904-1917, began as the Manistee and Grand Rapids Railroad in 1904. Work crews set up camp four miles west of…

Ghosts on Main Street: M-61 Opens in 1934

M-61’s route is shown between Marion and Harrison in this 1941 Michigan Fishing and Hunting Guide. The guide was available for 50 cents from what would become Mobil Oil. By…

Post Office Safe Blown Up – Robbers use Nitroglycerine

The Marion Post Office as it appeared on a tinted George Blesch postcard, circa 1910. By Julie Traynor I came up empty when searching for some interesting Valentine’s Day ghosts…

Ghosts on Main Street: 100 Ghosts and 100 Years

Three of Marion’s Centurions. Ollie Vincent celebrated her 100th in 1982. Ruby Johnson, 100 in 1999, chats with her old friend Susan Hall at her 100th birthday fete in 2000.…

Gas-tly Ghost

Looking West, fuel oil depot on North Mill is coated in ice from the February 22, 1922 ice storm. by Julie Traynor   If you were paying attention and knew…

From Slaughterhouse to the Village Glen – The Ghosts of First Street

by Julie Traynor  The Marion, Michigan of 1920 was a very different place than it is in 2020.  As much as we like to think there has not been much change to our comfortable…

Johnny Alberts – Blacksmith Extraordinaire

John Alberts Sr., Taken in 1937. This is a 1956 photo of local smithy John Alberts Jr., fitting new shoes to Flash Direct, well-known pacer owned, by Leonard Charette of…

Ghosts on Main Street: January-Marion Michigan

Lake in December 1979. Marion’s gigantic, long time trademark water town was demolished. Riverside Electric employees on he picket line in March of 1971. Marion’s giant fiberglass Santa was purchased…

New Ghosts, Old Ghosts

Emma and Frank White pose in their comfortable store in the 1949’s. Today this is the Senior Meal Site. The Ben Franklin is now home to Brian Hower’s Untamed Archery,…

Page 1 of 3123